Why Is My Spa Water Cloudy?
June 26th, 2014
There are numerous reasons why the water in our spa turns cloudy. Generally we notice cloudy water when the spa has not been used for a couple of days. Cloudy water in a spa can be the result of imbalanced water, total dissolved solid build up or poor filtration.
It is important to remember before we ever use a spa, we need to test and ensure the water chemistry is safe. Before taking any action to fix the cloudy water we should make our first priority to test the water.
Here are the top four reasons why spa water can be cloudy:
1. Dirty filter – for a washable filter you may need to give it a good clean. Remove, soak in a cleaning solution such as Renew for 24 hours, rinse it, dry it and then re-fit it in your spa. We recommend having a spare set of filters to ensure there is no spa down time.
2. Old filter – for disposable filters you may need to replace your existing filter and fix with a fresh one in its place. Washable filters also need replacing, if after cleaning your washable filter it still looks dirty this would indicate replacements are required.
Disposable filters should be replaced every 3-4 months and Washable filters every 12-18 months.
3. Dissolved Solids – a good idea before using your spa is to shower, however we understand sometimes this is impractical. The water in your spa can accumulate dissolved solids from things such as body lotions, residual hair care products, and make-up, fake tan or residual detergents used to wash your bathers. You should avoid applying lotions just before getting into a spa.
4. Low Sanitizer – all spas need a sanitizer to reduce the presence of bacteria. Low or excess levels of sanitizer can change the pH balance of the water and make it cloudy. Test strips will indicate if your spa is low on bromine or chlorine. When this occurs you need to add more sanitizer to the spa.
5. Fresh water – when all things you usually do don’t work, it is time to start again with fresh water. Excessive total dissolved solids reduce chemical efficiency and can cause cloudy water. This is the point at which the spa will not respond to normal treatment. Note – in ground spas should only ever be refreshed – never emptied as they can lift out of the ground.
If you require further help on spa water maintenance please contact our Endless Customer Service department on (03) 8769 7341. You can also visit Endless Spas at 15 Chapel St, Lynbrook. Endless Spas sell spa and pool chemicals, and offer spa maintenance tips.