What Timber for My Backyard Deck?
August 19th, 2014
We are finding more and more people love the option of decking for their outdoor space surrounding their spa or pool. Decking is a great option as it is aesthetically pleasing and also can add value to your home!
We’ve come to learn that there a few different types of materials that can be used for decking. We caught up with Joel from Leading Edge Developments to help us learn about the different decking options.
Joel, is there one particular decking material that we must use for decking around a spa or pool?
No, there are many great options for decking around pools and spas. It depends on what is important to you and your backyard. There are cost-effective, low-maintenance alternatives or there are traditional solid timber favourites. It depends on your budget and desired look.
What are the Solid Timber Options?
- Merbau is one of the most popular decking options and my personal favourite. It is a dense timber that is reddish brown in colour. It has a high resistance from termites and considered durable, therefore is used where weather and pest resistance is necessary.
- Jarrah is an Australia native that has a red to dark brown colour. It is considered hardwearing and reflects light to give great lustre and depth to its appearance.
- Spotted Gum is another extremely dense timber and is pest resistant. Its colour ranges from light to dark brown and can have the presence of wavy grain.
- Cypress Pine is moderately dense knotty timer. It is popular for use both indoors and out and gives a more rustic look.
- Treated Pine is the cheapest option for solid timber decking. It is pale in colour, however can be stained to suit. The longevity of treated pine depends on the level of treatment it receives.
What are Timber alternatives?
An alternative to solid timber is a composite deck. It comes in a range of sizes, colours and finishes. It is the combination of plastic and timber bi-products. Some have scratch resistant surfaces and fade resistance. Its best feature is that it is low-maintenance!
If you would like a free quote on your new spa decking or any further advice, contact Joel on 0439 331 923 or use the Contact Us Page.